Janja Marc (h
-index 16) is a full professor of Clinical Biochemistry at the University of Ljubljana. She is the head of Laboratory of Molecular Diagnostics at the Faculty of Pharmacy. She is the coordinator of master programmes and PhD studies of the Laboratory of Biomedicine and the national coordinator of CEEPUS student exchange network. Her expertise is molecular diagnostics, population genetics, genome-wide association studies, epigenetic studies, functional genomics, pharmaco-genomic studies and study of cell. Her research is focused on bone biology and metabolic processes of adipose tissue in humans aiming to clarify the genetic background of complex diseases like osteoporosis, osteoarthrosis, insulin resistance, obesity, heart failure, CVD and lung cancer.
She is member of the editorial boards of three international journals (Biochemia Medica, Acta Pharmaceutica and Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine) and member of the working group for Personalised Laboratory Medicine of the European Federation for Laboratory Medicine. Since 2012 she is serving as general secretary and co-chair of the Education and Course Division at the European Society of Pharmacogenomics and Personalised Therapy (ESPT, www.esptnet.eu).
Relevant peer-reviewed publications
- Estrada K, Styrkarsdottir U, Evangelou E, …, Marc J, …, Rivadeneira F. Genome-wide meta-analysis identifies 56 bone mineral density loci and reveals 14 loci associated with risk of fracture. Nat Genet. 2012 Apr 15; 44(5): 491-501.
- Liu CT, Estrada K, Yerges-Armstrong LM, …, Marc J, …, Hsu YH. Assessment of gene-by-sex interaction effect on bone mineral density. J Bone Miner Res. 2012 Oct; 27(10): 2051-64.
- Vrtačnik P, Marc J, Ostanek B. Epigenetic mechanisms in bone. ClinChem Lab Med. 2014 May; 52(5): 589-608.
- Lunder M, Drevenšek G, Černe D, Marc J, Janić M, Šabovič M. Treatment with low-dose atorvastatin, losartan, and their combination increases expression of vasoactive-related genes in rat aortas. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther. 2013 Mar; 18(2): 177-83.
- Mirjanic-Azaric B, Vekic J, Zeljkovic A, Jelic-Ivanovic Z, Djeric M, Milivojac T, Pecar Fonovic U, Marc J, Kos J, Cerne D. Interrelated cathepsin S-lowering and LDL subclass profile improvements induced by atorvastatin in the plasma of stable angina patients. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2014; 21(8): 868-77.